Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Killing the dream?

I'm dreading the start of the school year.  They spent all last year teaching my little guy to read and now I'm afraid (after speaking with other parents of older kids) they'll push him to read so much they kill his love for it.  I remember my English classes never inspired a love of literature with their choices of 'educational' material, things like 'Brave New World' and 'Animal Farm' for which my adolescent brain was not ready.  I just wanted a good story with enduring characters and a great plot, I wasn't looking for political metaphor guising itself as a novel.  It didn't enlighten my benighted brain but only managed to confuse me and turn me off to what should be good books.  Now it is even worse, how much and far they push them, demanding so many pages or minutes or words rather than letting a love of reading bud naturally, we throw these developing and delicate sprouts into an artificial hot house and demand they grow, NOW!  They are making it work and not fun, it should be a lifelong enjoyable habit, not just another assignment to check off the list.  The statistics on adult readers in the US are atrocious and this just might be a root cause (technology and other distractions is certainly another).  Let's fight against the machine and read because we want to, not because we have to, and let's teach our kids to do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment