Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Back to school

My biggest school struggle as a child was finding things to read.  They turned you loose in the library with no guidance or direction, my choices were random at best.  At home, the main goal was not to alert the maternal unit that you even existed, let alone expect guidance or encouragement in the literary realm.  In junior high they assigned books for you to read but never gave you any background on why that particular book was worth reading so to my immature mind they were just lousy stories we had to read for class.  Now I could suggest a whole slew of great books for the age 12+ reader, but what do I do for my 6 year old?  I want him to learn to love reading and stories, not kill that budding love by inane books or too much pressure, but to do that, he needs to discover books he can fall in love with.  That is one advantage of technology: there's a whole world of great stories out there, now closer than ever.  Encouraging the young readers in your life is one of the most important things you will ever do, as the rate of readers in America continues to plummet into a seemingly bottomless abyss!

No comments:

Post a Comment