Sunday, July 13, 2014

Just a hobby?

"I would not know how to advise a man how to write. It is a matter of talent and interest. I believe he must be strongly moved if he is to become a writer. Writing is like a "lust," or like "scratching when you itch." Writing comes as a result of a very strong impulse, and when it does come, I for one must get it out." ~C.S. Lewis

I came across the above recently and thought it very much to the point (is Lewis ever anything but?).  There seems to be a bit of a fad among the various 'author' type websites I occasionally frequent to have writers answer questions about their own experiences and insights for their fans and aspiring writers, the favorite question seems to be, 'how would you encourage aspiring writers or what advice would you give to budding authors?'  I have to agree with Lewis in this, any one can sit down and write something, but to truly be a writer I think the old greeks were not far wrong in their belief in the muses: it is just a great urge you get and you must put pen to paper and are not satisfied until you do.  Much like Jeremiah who said his bones were afire until he prophesied, whether he wanted to or not.  It is just something you must do, else it is just a hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment