Thursday, January 2, 2014

Poetry? Seriously?

Alas and alack, dear readers, I have slipped into the strange and stereotyped world of poetry, not intentionally mind you, but it has been a gradual decay as it were.  A love for hymn lyrics here, some Dr. Seuss there, a partial reading of Sir Robert Stevenson's 'Lady of the Lake,' Anne Shirley reading Tennyson, recently stumbling upon a lovely book of nursery rhymes, but thankfully Tolkien's elf poetry  had no ill influence, though I like his lyrics about other things, namely roads and lost kings, but one should not write poetry about imaginary worlds…the normal stuff is hard enough to understand.  I knew G. K. Chesterton wrote poetry, but I had avoided it, but someone wrote an article and included some which made me curious, and then I was hooked.  So your reading assignment is of a higher type today.  Find Chesterton's 'Poems' here.  I still do not understand some of his prose, but most of his poetry actually makes sense.  If you've figured out 'The Man Who was Thursday,' let me know, but only after you write a 56 page paper on his poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment