Saturday, March 2, 2013

On reading

I have a dreadful time finding anything to read, not that I have much time anymore which just makes it all that more vital that I choose wisely.  I need a riveting story, strong characters, an interesting world, but most of all good writing.  As humans, we are prone to think that if it is new, modern, and shiny, it must therefore be superior to anything that has come before.  This is absolutely ridiculous, especially when it comes to the written word.  In my experience, the older the better. 

To be a good writer, one must be an excellent reader.  Therefore, reading the best books can only help your writing.  I have a list of favorite books (none by a living author) that I return to again and again with interest and joy, though there are a million new books printed every year, still do I go back to these beloved tomes, for ever do I find something new or am reminded of things forgotten. 

As an aspiring writer/reader, it is also wise to have a good understanding of the "classics" which improves your vocabulary, your metaphorical abilities, your ability to understand references in old books, and your general knowledge.  You do not need to be fluent in Greek and read Homer in his native tongue, but a familiarity with greek mythology and the Bible are quite helpful in reading anything written before the first World War.  As for the Bible, it is an interesting read in itself, not only for its spiritual merits, but as a literary work it is quite unequalled, just make sure you read a translation you can understand and that preserves the lyrical quality of the prose.  I like the English Standard Version or the New King James (if I'm in a Shakespearean mood).  The King James is very poetic, but can be difficult if you are unfamiliar with either the Bible or archaic English.  One example is a verse that mentions, 'the voice of the turtle.'  Turtledove is the implication, not a shelled reptile, but I once spent half an hour trapped in a discussion of what exactly this strange passage means when all the author was saying is that birds sing in the spring!     

No comments:

Post a Comment