Tuesday, December 20, 2016

As men of old have sung

I thought I had at least heard of most of the major Christmas carols, but apparently I missed one, perhaps the oldest Christmas song still occasionally heard by modern ears.  Now that I've heard it, I've noticed it in the background of everything from The Nativity Story to a Christmas themed Veggie Tales.  The English title is 'Of the Father's Love Begotten,' 'Corde Natus' for you latter day Romans out there.  Google it and take a listen, it is well worth it!

Here are the lyrics for the first verse, they don't write stuff like this anymore, enjoy!:

Of the Father’s love begotten,
Ere the worlds began to be,
He is Alpha and Omega,
He the source, the ending He,
Of the things that are, that have been,
And that future years shall see,
Evermore and evermore!

No comments:

Post a Comment